If you would like to transport your car when you relocate, or ship a car to someone else, there are several things you might want to do to prepare your car for safe transport:
Get confirmation that the vehicle transport services provides the exact type of service you need
Not all car transport companies can guarantee transportation of our vehicle to any place in United States. Make sure you get all the information you can about car companies that can ship your car from one destination to another destination. Create a list, and then ask for a quotes. You will need to provide as much detail about your car and its condition, as well as where you want it to be moved, and its final destination.
Evaluate the information you get from all vehicle transport service companies
The cost of transporting your vehicle is an important consideration; you need to assess the company itself. Find out how long they have been in business. Find out as much as you can about their reputation from comments and ratings online, and on BBB – The Better Business Bureau.
Find out how they transport vehicles, and how the vehicles are delivered; whether it’s door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal. Do they offer open-air transport, or enclosed vehicle transport. Open air is the least expensive choice, but it leaves the vehicle exposed to outdoor elements. An enclosed transport mode has an enclosed trailer, which provides better protection and the highest level of security. Find out what guarantees they can give you in terms of mode of transport, delivery time and insurance.
Check your insurance
Find out what your insurance company covers, and if you will be able to continue with the insurance once you move your car out of state. Moving to another country might be another matter. Car moving companies might provide insurance during the period that the car is in their process. Go through the insurance documentation to find out how broad the coverage is. Many companies do not insure personal items in your car – such as removable car extras like mats.
Find out more information about the process of moving vehicles
There might be other special provisions that are required to move a car from one state to another, or from one country to another. There could be special documentation that is needed. There could be other restrictions imposed by state laws or country laws. Find out all that you need to avoid nasty surprises.
Get the car ready
- Get the car ready for transport. Clean the inside of the vehicle by getting rid of any trash, removing tools, CD’s and any other media items you have in the car. Remove mats, and take everything out of the glove compartment. Be sure to remove everything that is not attached to the car as a permanent fixture, and pack it up separately. Some companies will allow you to keep the spare tire or safety seat provided.
- Turn the car alarm off, remove CD players and consider retracting the car antenna if possible.
- Clean the car on the outside and make sure that it is in shape for the final destination. For example, if the weather is cold, snow tires or extra anti-freeze or transmission oil may be needed.
- Check for leaks on the undercarriage. If your car is leaking aggressively the car transport company may refuse to transport your car. If there are leaks get them repaired before moving day.
6. Go through the transport documentation at the car release point
Go through the Bill of Lading before you sign. Make sure that the information is correct. Make sure that the information on the documentation specifies the condition of the car correctly before you release it to the auto transportation company. At this point, you would have paid for the car upfront this is why it is important that when the car leaves your possession, you have the assurance that it will arrive in the same condition. Should anything happen to the car, the insurance will require the Bill of Lading to verify that damages reported where not there at the beginning.
Receive your car at its final destination
Whether its door-to-door service or terminal-to-terminal delivery, make sure that you are there to inspect the car before receiving it from the transport company.